This is where we keep the Archway Learning Trust’s Schemes of Learning for Mathematics.
The scheme is planned to run smoothly from Year 7 through to (eventually) Year 13. This is a work in progress as different year groups have started at different stages.
A map of curriculum can be found here: Curriculum Map
Here is a link to the Maths teaching websites that also support our teaching and learning of Mathematics : Teaching Maths – Websites we love!
There is an overview for each year group from Year 7 to Year 10; each half term is split into key lessons that need to be taught. Each lesson covers one objective. There are far fewer lessons than there actually are. This is because most lessons will actually last longer than one hour. Also, this allows the planning and delivery of “white space lessons”. White space lessons are required to enable classes to consolidate 3/4 key learning points before moving on to new concepts.
You will see from the overviews that a significant amount of time in the Year 7 Autumn and Spring terms is devoted to developing key number concepts. This is to build their competency as number sense will affect their success in other areas of mathematics.
The schemes of learning for Years 7, 8, 9 and 10;
- have number at their heart. A large proportion of time in Year 7 is spent reinforcing number to build competency. Key number skills are then fed through the rest of the scheme so that students become more and more fluent
- give teachers ideas for how to extend higher attaining students through depth rather than acceleration onto new content
- encourage students to generalise throughout each unit
- ensure students have the opportunity to stay together as they work through the schemes as a whole group
- provide plenty of opportunity to interleave reasoning and problem solving elements into the curriculum.
Year 11 schemes of learning will be bespoke to each class using question-level analysis of the end of Year 10 assessment in conjunction with the summer examination report. Each Head of Mathematics will advise on the medium term plans for each school.
For any information about this site, please contact:
Website created by Matilde Warden