A simplified overview of the content covered this year. Please see the half term page for a more detailed version.
Autumn 1 Addition & Subtraction
- Use the part/whole model to represent addition and subtraction
- Analyse standard algorithms for addition and subtraction.
- Simplify expressions by collecting like terms
- Find the perimeter of shapes
- Add and subtract negative numbers
- Use positive and negative numbers in context
- Investigate place value
- Solve problems involving large numbers.
- Solve problems that require assumptions to be made
Autumn 2 Multiplication & Division
- Use arrays to represent multiplication and division
- Compare multiplication and division methods
- Find the area of a rectangle, triangle, parallelogram and trapezium
- Use divisibility rules
- Identify factors and HCF
- identify prime numbers
- Multiply and divide negative numbers
Spring 1 Angles
- Draw and measure angles
- Describe and define triangles and quadrilaterals
- Find angles on a straight line, around a point, vertically opposite, in triangles and quadrilaterals
- Solve problems involving angles
Spring 2 Fractions
- Identify Multiples/LCM
- Find equivalent fractions
- Compare and order fractions
- Convert between mixed numbers and improper fractions
- Use the four rules with fractions.
Summer 1 Coordinate Geometry
- Plot and read Cartesian coordinates
- Understand the equations of vertical and horizontal lines
- Find simple rules connecting x and y coordinates
- Reflect, rotate and enlarge shapes on a Cartesian grid.
- Mystery Tours
Summer 2 Interpreting data
- Solve problems using averages
- Read & interpret pie charts
- Compare frequency graphs and pie charts